Fix Background Check Errors?


You have a legal right to fix background check errors. A wrong background check can cause you to be denied a job, housing, licenses, clearances, and can cause other harm. If you are a victim of an inaccurate background check, you should file a dispute. If that doesn’t work, you have the right to file a lawsuit to correct wrong information.

If you’re dealing with inaccurate information in a background check, call us for help. We help dispute wrong background checks and sue if background check errors are not corrected. To get a free case review from our background check attorney, call us or fill out our free case review form.

Let us answer your credit report questions:

Can background checks be inaccurate?

In 2020, the CFPB received over 191,000 complaints about inaccurate consumer reports.

Background checks often contain wrong inaccurate, or incorrect information. False background checks can keep you from getting a job, housing, licenses, or clearances, and may cause many other types of harm.

Background check errors often are caused because wrong or old information is included in your background check. Sometimes, false information is included because someone else’s information is placed in your credit report. 

Here are some of the more common background check errors:

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau recently issued an advisory opinion highlighting the importance of keeping false information out of background checks. In the opinion, the CFPB noted that, in 2020 alone, it received more than 191,000 complaints about inaccurate information in consumer reports.

Someone else on your background check?

If information about someone else showed up on your background check, you may be the victim of what is called a “mixed file.” This means the background check company mistook your for someone else and included their information in your background check. This can happen if your name is similar to someone else and a background check company fails to do their due diligence.

If someone else’s information is in your background check, you have a legal right to get it removed. 

False criminal history on a background check?

False criminal information on background reports can be caused for many reasons. Sometimes, inaccurate criminal history results from background check companies not understanding public records. Other times, wrong criminal information is simply too old for a background check company to report. And yet other times, false criminal history results from a background check company putting someone else’s information in your background check.

False criminal history can be particularly damaging and often results in job loss, loss of rental opportunities, and denial of licenses and clearances. 

If you have wrong criminal information in a background check, you have a legal right to get it removed.

How to fix an inaccurate background check?

To fix an inaccurate background check you must first file a dispute with the company that made the false background check. Here are the names and addresses of some of the larger background check providers:

Your dispute should be detailed and explain whey you are challenging any false information. Make sure to include supporting documents. 

Here is a run-down of what your dispute should include and how it should be sent:

If you get nowhere with a dispute, you may have to file a lawsuit. If you need to file a lawsuit, or if you need help with the dispute process, give our background check attorney a call or complete our free case review form.

Your rights and background check errors?

Here is a summary of your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which is one of the laws that applies to false background checks:

Hire us to help!

If you’re getting sued or harassed by Midland Funding, please contact us for help. To get a free case review from our debt defense attorney, please complete our our free case review form.

Recent Articles:

Sued For Old Debt?

If you’re getting sued on a debt that’s over four years old you likely can win the case and get damages.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on print
Share on email